Gordon Brown is in a fairly unique situation in that he knows that he will be Prime Minister in six weeks time. Normally in the UK, leaders become Prime Ministers overnight. So how about using the advance notice to get people to apply for Cabinet posts and opening up the process a bit?
It might go something like this:
- Gordon decides what posts he wants in the cabinet
- Invites people to apply (I’d suggest only Labour MPs to begin with and that people can apply for a maximum of three posts)
- Applicants send a proposal for what they would do in the job, how they would do it and their relevant experience in the form of a CV
- Gordon and an elder Labour statesman (Neil Kinnock springs to mind) interview the best candidates.
- New Cabinet is announced on 27th June and their applications made public