Today is one of my favourite bits of BGV — Day 1 of Week 1 when all the new teams come in to start their three months with us. This will be the fifth cohort of BGV so we’re up to 42 teams supported over the past two and half years. One of the things we try to do in the first week is create a safe, collaborative space for the teams to help one another and this time we’ve written down a few house rules for the first time.
- Everything that happens at BGV stays at BGV. We want everyone here to feel this is a space in which they can share successes and failures without fear of them being splattered all over twitter. A huge part of the value we offer at BGV is the cohort’s ability to trust each other and collaborate, so please respect each other’s confidentiality.
- Ask for help as often as possible. Over the next three months the BGV team, our mentors and the rest of the cohort are here to help you as much as possible. But we can’t help if you don’t ask, so don’t be shy!
- No Arsehole Rule. Treat everyone with equal respect irrespective of age, race, gender or ability. Don’t exploit people’s goodwill and desire to help. Always try and find solutions rather than problems.
- Be generous. This is kind of the flipside of “always ask for help” — we think the best way to build a community that can really make a difference is for us to work together, so please be generous, it makes everything more fun.
- And on that last point, make sure you have fun! Doing a startup is hard, there are lots of late nights, difficult decisions and stressful times but it is really important not to let this overtake your life, going to the pub is very important (as are weekends) — don’t forget!